ORION is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to empowering Ontario researchers, educators and innovators. We foster a community of more than two million users at more than a hundred universities, colleges, hospitals and research institutions, as well as the majority of Ontario’s school boards. We enable ground-breaking discoveries and cutting-edge education by connecting institutions and regions through our network, facilitating collaboration, and providing our community with the digital tools and expert support they need to make the world a better place.
As a member of ORION’s engineering team this position is responsible for planning, engineering, and operational aspects of our research and education network. The individual is part of team that is responsible for the effective operation of the IP layer, technical user interface, service requests, and assisting in the design, management, and operations of the IP/MPLS network as a whole.
You will have an opportunity to work with a dynamic team of professionals at a self-sustaining non-profit organization in the heart of downtown Toronto, and to interact with leaders from Ontario’s research and education sectors.
- Education: BSC in Computer Science, or Diploma related to network engineering.
- Routing & Switching: VLAN, STP, IS-IS, BGP, MPLS, QoS and MPLS-TE
- Network Management: SNMP and Network Planning Tools
- Operating Systems: Cisco IOS, IOS-XR and JUNOS
- Hardware Platforms: Cisco ASR9K, 7600, 3650 and Alcatel PSS-32
- Experience: Over 3 years in a service-provider environment
- Desirable Certifications: Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP), CCNA Service Provider, CCNA Security, Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE) designation an asset
- Experience with Software Defined Networks and Network Function Virtualization (desirable)
Experience and Adaptation
- Working knowledge of TCP/IP WAN technologies and protocol suites
- Hands-on working experience with provisioning and troubleshooting Cisco routers, UNIX, Linux and Windows systems
- Hands-on working experience with dynamic routing protocols: IS-IS, BGP, MP-BGP
- Hands-on working experience with IOS, IOS-XR and JUNOS operating systems
- Experience in applications such as Cacti, DNS, TACACS, and other common applications and network troubleshooting utilities
- Experience with network monitoring applications and SNMP.
- Excellent understanding of the operation of data routing and switching equipment from multiple vendors (e.g. Cisco, Juniper, HP, Foundry.)
- Experienced with MPLS (Multi-Protocol Label Switching) MPLS-TE, VPLS (Virtual Private LAN Services) and QoS (Quality of Service)
- Knowledge of DWDM systems and WAN Technologies
- Knowledge of common network practices such as preventative service provisioning, maintenance, upgrades, notification, escalation, and troubleshooting
- Design and configuration experience with firewalls, routers and switches
- Experienced working on projects and test plans and other network-related project deliverables
- Demonstrated expertise working with Network Management/Support Tools
- Ability to exercise initiative, judgement, and decision-making
- Strong customer service orientation
- Good interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills to foster an atmosphere of teamwork, professionalism, and dedication
- IDS/IDP Administration
- Hands-on working experience with troubleshooting ROADM-based Long-Haul optical transport systems and provisioning new DWDM services
- Hands-on working knowledge of Network Management Systems (NMS)
- Familiarity with Alcatel-Lucent 1830PSS transport equipment
- Good understanding of fibre optic technology, outside fibre plant, fibre testing technology and OTDR test results interpretations
- Good knowledge of SONET, OTN transport protocols, 10GE and 100G Ethernet and WAN Technologies
- Comfortable working with third-party fibre providers, field engineers, NOC engineers, and OSP specialists to resolve fibre-related issues
- Highly motivated
- Honesty and integrity
- Passion for networking
- Willingness to learn
Please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: Aug 16, 2017