ORION is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to empowering Ontario researchers, educators and innovators. We foster a community of more than two million users at more than a hundred universities, colleges, hospitals and research institutions, as well as the majority of Ontario’s school boards. We enable ground-breaking discoveries and cutting-edge education by connecting institutions and regions through our network, facilitating collaboration, and providing our community with the digital tools and expert support they need to make the world a better place.
The successful applicant will require a strong understanding of government policy. Working with the communications team, this individual will be responsible for supporting ORION’s mission through relationships and communications that raise awareness about ORION’s enablement of Ontario’s policy makers’ goals.
You will have an opportunity to work with a dynamic team of professionals at a non-profit organization in the heart of downtown Toronto, and to interact with leaders in Ontario’s research, education and innovation sectors, including government.
Reporting to the Director, Marketing and Communications, you will help ORION strengthen its impact on provincial economic growth through digital infrastructure.
Responsibilities and Duties
The successful candidate ensures ORION has the information and analysis to support its goal of strengthening Ontario’s digital infrastructure ecosystem.
- Advise on ORION’s government and stakeholder relationship strategy
- Support the development and maintenance of strong and effective relationships with government officials (elected and non-elected) and key public affairs influencers to enhance awareness, understanding and engagement in achieving ORION’s strategic goals
- Monitor and report internally on federal, provincial, and municipal government proceedings relevant to advancing ORION’s strategic objectives
- Assist with preparation and writing of community/stakeholder communication pieces such as information packages, reports letters, and regular electronic newsletters
- Gather background material, statistics, and other data to support the team with correspondence, the creation of briefing notes for key meetings and ad hoc presentation materials
- Track key government committees, ministries and other advisory bodies to ensure, where appropriate, that ORION provides input and information to these groups with the objective of advancing the organization’s contribution and furthering its objectives
- Foster ORION’s support of a strong innovation ecosystem, by coordinating outreach activities with stakeholders (government ministries, support agencies, vendors, university and college research partners, school board and library educational technology champions) through consultations and meetings
- Gather, synthesize and analyze information on the broad range of sectors and organizations that impact ORION’s role in the digital infrastructure ecosystem
- Help coordinate and communicate ORION’s position in the public policy arena, drafting research, position and briefing papers, as well as proposals, applications, speeches and other strategic collateral and messaging to deploy across traditional and digital channels, perhaps in collaboration with vendors and acting as their point of contact within the organization
- Support ORION’s marketing and brand awareness campaigns across relevant channels
- Maintain a knowledge base of issues, reports and analyses that are available to ORION management and staff
- Based on these analyses, recommend activities that leverage ORION’s strengths and serve to strengthen the digital infrastructure ecosystem, including recommendations regarding the evolution of ORION’s programs, services, relationships, funding and communications
Key Performance Metrics
- Increase the number of quality connections on ORION social networks, email list, and in our customer relationship management database, further establishing ORION as a trusted partner and advocate in the research, education and innovation community in Ontario
- Increase views of identified key thought leadership pieces to demonstrate awareness of ORION’s role as an advocate
- Meet event objectives for engaging strategic community partners, including government
Skills and Competencies
- Passionate about and experienced in traditional and digital advocacy best practices, actively engaged online
- Understanding of how government policy is developed and how decisions are made
- Experience planning and executing meetings, events and other public affairs activities
- Experience in stakeholder or government relations, or in a government/political office
- A solid understanding of the research, education and innovation sector and/or digital infrastructure sector, as well as how it relates to policy
- Well-developed relationship building and management skills
- Education: Minimum undergraduate degree in public relations, policy, or related field
- Excellent writing and editing skills as well as some image editing ability
- In-depth understanding of various social media platforms, including but not limited to: LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube
- Must be comfortable with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Experience with WordPress, Google Analytics, MailChimp and Salesforce or similar
- Well-developed analytical skills, leading to sound decisions based on organizational strategy
- Strong team player with ability to understand and present varying viewpoints for multiple stakeholders
- Attention to detail with the ability to multi-task
- Fearless attitude towards technology and willing to learn: Self-motivated, innovative
Please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org