ORION is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to empowering Ontario researchers, educators and innovators. We foster a community of more than two million users at more than a hundred universities, colleges, hospitals and research institutions, as well as the majority of Ontario’s school boards. We enable ground-breaking discoveries and cutting-edge education by connecting institutions and regions through our network, facilitating collaboration, and providing our community with the digital tools and expert support they need to make the world a better place.
This position involves working with a broad range of people in universities, colleges, research labs and institutes, hospitals and health research facilities, innovation support organizations, school boards, government, and private companies. You’ll need to understand and manage a diversity of viewpoints, positions and interests.
The successful applicant will require a strong understanding of the effective use of content for marketing and communications. This individual will be responsible for creating, editing and sourcing content (all media formats, including video, text, and images) to increase the exposure of ORION and support community relationships. Working with the ORION communications team, this individual will be responsible for creating engaging, relevant content and communicating through various integrated channels.
You will have an opportunity to work with a dynamic team of professionals at a non-profit organization in the heart of downtown Toronto, and to interact with leaders from Ontario’s institutions and education sectors.
Reporting to the Director, Marketing and Communications, you will help ORION grow its business and add value for its customers and key stakeholders.
- Collaborate closely with internal groups such as sales and engineering as well as external vendors and partners to support ORION’s content needs including marketing collateral to support business development
- Identify and create content for the website, email and social media, managing an integrated editorial calendar to ensure cohesive yet differentiated channel messaging, and capitalizing on real-world trends
- Write press releases and other materials to engage media and key stakeholders
- Develop relationships with and create pitches and original content for traditional media outlets as well as innovation community partners
- Participate in the creative vision process for the ORION brand
- Assist with speaking notes and presentations for the President/CEO and other ORION staff
- Analyze metrics and make recommendations for content improvements
- Leverage and build social media platforms to best engage our community – specifically in the research, education and innovation sector
- Utilize integrated marketing techniques to increase attendance at events, including email, web, traditional and social media
- Build targeted campaign lists by marrying a keen understanding audiences and Salesforce software
- Evaluate campaign success using Google Analytics, MailChimp and other tools, and committing to a culture of continuous improvement through leveraging such insight
- Play a key role in ORION events, especially as it relates to the online community
- Other activities as assigned by manager
This position reports directly to the Director, Marketing & Communications
Key Performance Metrics
- Increase the number of quality connections on ORION social networks, further establishing ORION as a trusted partner and advocate in the research, education and innovation community in Ontario
- Increase website traffic to identified key destinations to demonstrate brand awareness
- Achieve benchmarked open- and click-through-rates on email campaigns
- Meet event attendance targets, ensuring greater engagement with our target community
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent writing and editing skills with a minimum of two years’ experience
- Image editing skills
- In-depth understanding of various social media platforms, including but not limited to: LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube
- Passionate about and experienced in digital marketing best practices and actively engaged online
- Fearless attitude towards technology and a willingness to learn
- Must be comfortable with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Analytical skills used to make decisions
- Experience with WordPress, Google Analytics, MailChimp and Salesforce or similar
- A familiarity with and interest in the research, education and innovation sector and/or digital infrastructure sector
- Experience in product marketing
- Education: Ideally a degree or diploma in Marketing and/or Communications
- Strong team player, willing to “pitch in”
- Attention to detail with the ability to multi-task
- Self-motivated, organized and innovative
Please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org