As Ontario’s backbone of innovation ORION has a unique mandate that bridges public and private sector interests through its operation of Ontario’s advanced research, education and innovation network. ORION is dedicated exclusively to supporting and enhancing the collaboration and innovation capabilities of Ontario’s researchers, educators, scientists, innovators and learners. This means working with a broad range of people and groups in universities, colleges, research labs and institutes, hospitals and health research facilities, innovation support organizations, school boards, government, and private companies and having to understand and manage a diversity of viewpoints, positions and interests.
A talented and dynamic facilities expert, the successful incumbent will work closely with the Network Engineering & Operations teams to help plan and support the physical installation of cabinets, cages, cables, shelving, cable management systems, HVAC and associated power plant equipment. Operating more than 30 POP’s across Ontario, the Telecommunications Facilities Specialist will be the primary lead in proactively ensuring that facilities capacity & resiliency is readily available as well as help identify key advances that might help further benefit ORION’s customers and partners.
The ideal candidate will not only exhibit a strong “hands-on” industry best practice approach, but will also exhibit a savvy ability to identify and coordinate the right partnerships to help build and maintain ORION’s facilities footprint.
- Plan and implement with industry best practice for new POP infrastructure, including DC power plant installation, HVAC, rack installation, cabling, fire suppression, etc.
- DC wiring, moves/adds/changes of electrical work of the IP, Optical and other related network equipment.
- Perform regular maintenance including capacity and health assessments of existing POP power (AC & DC), HVAC, co-location facilities and network cabling. Install and test telecommunications optical, routing/switching, monitoring equipment and associated cabling at POP sites.
- Coordinate with members for network upgrades, changes & troubleshooting.
- Liaise with members, service providers, vendors, local utilities, contractors, and other engineering staff on planned and emergency outages, and to resolve resulting problems.
- Manage the online records of equipment/vendor contracts ensuring the documentation is up to date and catalogued.
- Maintain regular power & HVAC capacity and inventory reports.
- Project Management tracking of work contracted to 3rd party resources.
- Participate with On-Call support rotation.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Traveling required (25%-40%).
- 2-3 years’ experience installing telecommunications equipment and working with telecommunications equipment, DC power plants and HVAC systems. 2-3 years’ experience working with telecommunications test methods and equipment supporting fibre characterization, BER, Light meters and Layer 2/3 test patterns.
- 2-3 years’ experience working with standards related to facility builds, cabling and electrical work.
- Advanced Knowledge of Fibre Optic inside/outside cable plant.
- Advanced knowledge of power and BTU calculations covering telecommunications equipment.
- Advanced knowledge of fire suppression systems.
- Strong knowledge of microwave systems & associated maintenance (nice to have).
- Excellent written and verbal English communications skills.
- Experience in network facility troubleshooting and resolution.
- Contract negotiation experience/skills for rack, space and power.
- Project Management and vendor management skills.
- Industry knowledge working with third-party fibre providers, field engineers, NOC engineers, OSP specialists to resolve network and facilities related issues.
- Knowledge of common network industry best practice with service provisioning, maintenance, upgrades, notification, escalation, and troubleshooting.
- Comfortable working on projects, test plans, MOP’s and other project deliverables.
- Good interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills to foster an atmosphere of teamwork, professionalism, and dedication.
- Effective customer service communication. Attention to detail on work assignments with the ability to multi-task.
- Ability to operate under minimal supervision.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Applications – Outlook, Word, Excel, Visio, and PowerPoint.
Please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org