ORION is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to empowering Ontario researchers, educators and innovators. We foster a community of more than two million users at more than a hundred universities, colleges, hospitals and research institutions, as well as the majority of Ontario’s school boards. We enable ground-breaking discoveries and cutting-edge education by connecting institutions and regions through our network, facilitating, collaboration, and providing our community with the digital tools and expert support they need to make the world a better place.
We are looking for a Project Manager to join ORION’s Project Management Office. In this role, you will be responsible for planning, leading, and reporting on the effective delivery of various business, network and cybersecurity related projects.
- Support the delivery of medium to small projects. May be asked to support another PM in their delivery of a large program.
- Coordinate initiatives to improve business performance measurement and reporting with various stakeholders.
- Generate management updates and summaries for internal and external senior executive committees.
- Establish and maintain appropriate PMO program/project governance and reporting.
- Identify opportunities to streamline processes and increase efficiency.
- Prepare and maintain up-to-date project management-related documents, reports and processes.
- Conduct project meetings as required and prepares Meeting Minutes for distribution to all attendees.
- Provides other duties as requested and required.
- Work with Finance to report on financial spend and status of each project you lead.
- Direct all aspects of the project planning and execution phases.
- Work with project team members to create detailed project plan.
- Engage resources as required by the plan for the successful deployment of the project.
- Communicate status to the client via written reports and meeting or teleconferences.
- Track project plan to baseline against time and budget constraints.
- Manage project scope & handle scope change requests using appropriate documentation.
- Log, monitor and handle project issues, analyze & recommend viable alternatives.
- Hold weekly team meetings and attend client meetings.
- Lead cross-functional team members towards the successful conclusion of the project.
- Manage stakeholder expectations.
- Ensure proper documentation is completed & stored where accessible. Documentation includes Statement of Work, plan, schedule, scope changes log, risk assessment, minutes of status meeting and PIR.
- Must manage and escalate issues as required.
Qualifications & Experiences
- College Diploma or University Degree (preferably Business, Project Management or Engineering)
- Formal project qualification (ex. PMP, PRINCE2) desirable.
- Minimum 3-5 years of project management experience.
- Experience in cybersecurity and telecom ideal.
- Effective decision-making skills through use of sound judgement and technical knowledge.
- Crisis resolution and risk management skills.
- Has a customer-service focus and ensures that clients’ needs are met and dealt with professionally.
- Strong organizational skills with proven efficiency to handle multiple projects at one time.
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills and proven ability to effectively communicate with all levels of an organization.
- String negotiation skills with ability to influence team members, vendors, and other stakeholders.
- Ability to take initiative and immediate action to get outstanding items complete.
- Ability to work under time constraints and adapt to change.
- Proven ability to manage concurrent projects with limited guidance through the end to end lifecycle.
- Strong analytical and logical thinking skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to work within a team environment.
- Self-motivated with a can-do attitude.