ORION is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to empowering Ontario researchers, educators and innovators. We foster a community of 1.7 million users at more than a hundred universities, colleges, hospitals and research institutions, school boards and regional innovation centres across the province. We enable ground-breaking discoveries and cutting-edge education by connecting institutions and regions through our network, facilitating collaboration and providing our community with the digital tools and expert support they need to make the world a better place.
As pioneers of cybersecurity thought leadership in Canada’s research and education sector, ORION is committed to keeping our digital community safe by helping improve their cybersecurity posture.
As a workplace, ORION has a culture of inclusion, mutual respect and teamwork. Equity and diversity are integral to our commitment to innovation, connectivity and community. We encourage applicants from women, persons with disabilities*, Indigenous peoples, racialized people and others who may contribute to the further evolution of our network.
About the Role:
As a key member of the functional leadership team, the Director of Marketing and Communications plays both a strategic and tactical role in the overall management of the company’s need to drive community growth across the Company.
The Director of Marketing and Communications will plan and develop ORION’s marketing and communications strategic direction. They will provide leadership through a highly consultative approach with diverse groups of internal and external stakeholders at all levels, including web design and content, marketing, public relations, social media and communications. Additionally, they will provide leadership and the role of strategy advisor and support to ensure timely delivery of all strategic plans, public relations, marketing and communications projects. They will also contribute to the sustained reputation building of ORION.
Reporting to the VP Business Planning & Partnerships, ORION’s Director of Marketing and Communications will help ORION grow its sustainability, brand and add value for the community and key stakeholders.
Supporting key strategic groups within ORION – Product Dev (all services), Program and Network and executive leadership.
- This position reports directly to the VP Business Planning & Partnerships
Salary and Benefits:
- Flexible work-from-home policy
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Career-training and development
- Generous holidays/vacation
- Many other perks
- Initiates research, develops and executes long-term comprehensive marketing and communications strategic plans and programs for ORION
- Initiates, researches, plans and implements an effective and comprehensive marketing strategy to promote ORIONs products and services
- Initiates and implements a communication strategy for ORION that promotes ORION’s activities and advances the ORION reputation
- Manages the day-to-day operational and financial administration on matters specific to the marketing and communications portfolio
- Leads and manages a team – Sr. Mgr Marketing Operations and Content Manager
- Leads the team through the creation of the annual ORION community conference and road shows
- Builds and maintains strong, productive relationships with internal and external stakeholders (staff, administrators, industry partners, etc.) to ensure that ORION’s goals are met with respect to research communication, marketing and related initiatives
- Oversees the hiring, performance management and professional development of staff, so that their full potential is actualized, and their knowledge and skills are constantly updated
- Successful completion of a post-secondary degree in Journalism, English, Marketing, Communications, Public Relations and/or Advertising, or a related field
- 5 to 7 years senior-level experience in planning and implementing marketing and communications strategies and programs using people, direct and digital marketing, and public relations in traditional and social media channels
Knowledge and Skills:
- Well-developed written and oral communications skills
- Ability to handle high pressure/high velocity environments/ multitask
- Ability to perform quality work with accuracy, meeting all requirements and deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work with and build relationships with multi-sectoral stakeholders, ability to modify methods of persuasion accordingly
- Problem solving, decision making, negotiation and consensus building skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work with large stakeholder groups and to work both independently and as part of a team, with an entrepreneurial propensity
- A good understanding of project management skills and able to recommend resource and budget requirements
- Developing and implementing marketing and communication plans
- Overseeing the management of websites
- Planning and managing budgets
- Understanding of design processes, techniques and limitations
Please send resumes to email@example.com with the subject line: Director, Marketing and Communications