ORION is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to empowering Ontario researchers, educators and innovators. We foster a community of more than two million users at more than a hundred universities, colleges, hospitals and research institutions, as well as the majority of Ontario’s school boards. We enable ground-breaking discoveries and cutting-edge education by connecting institutions and regions through our network, facilitating collaboration and providing our community with the digital tools and expert support they need to make the world a better place.
As an ORION NOC Technician, you will have responsibility for monitoring and responding to service-affecting issues across our network (alarms, email, phone) as well as incident management coordination with Network and Security operations team members. This crucial role acts as the main focal point for Operations communications, Incident and Change Management at ORION, as well as provides operational metrics to our Community and senior management. Requiring great communication skills, sound judgement and an ability to prioritize, this role is an excellent opportunity to advance your networking and service management skills while making a real difference to the critical infrastructure Services ORION provides to Ontario’s research and education community.
As a workplace, ORION has a culture of inclusion, mutual respect and teamwork. Equity and diversity are an integral part of our commitment to innovation, connectivity and community. We encourage applicants from women, persons with disabilities*, Indigenous peoples, racialized people and others who may contribute to the further evolution of our network.
This position reports directly to the Director, Network Infrastructure and Operations, and will work closely with Network Engineering and Security Operations technical team members.
Salary and Benefits:
- Flexible work-from-home policy
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Career-training and development
- Generous holidays/vacation
- Many other perks
- Primary point of contact for Constituent technical issues and questions; via email and phone calls
- Incident management; including engagement of Tier 2 Resolver teams and internal/external communications
- Initial tirage of network problem and depending of complexity, applying fix or initiate process to resolve issue.
- Alarm monitoring, triage and escalation (various NMS tools)
- Network statistic report collection at periodic intervals
- Change management tracking, including notifications and maintenance of a Global Change Calendar
- Ticket management, adherence and reporting
- ITSM process ownership, including recommending and leading improvement initiatives
- Potential opportunity for some field installation and repair work
Key Performance Metrics:
- Customer satisfaction related to overall support experience
- Various ITSM metrics including network availability, incident MTTR, FCR, repeats, Change success rate
- Ticket adherence and reporting
- Quarterly dashboard creation
- Knowledge articles created and/or processes improved
Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills and a strong customer focus
- Sound judgement and ability to make decisions and prioritize work, often with incomplete information
- Attention to detail
- Previous IT or network monitoring and support, including general networking knowledge (Cisco, Juniper, Nokia, Ciena management platforms and troubleshooting) and ticket management
- Understanding of vendor and Facilities management (from an Operations perspective)
- Strong teamwork and sense of ownership for the customer experience and service delivery excellence
- Familiarity with network fundamentals regarding Layer 3 and Layer 2 concepts and protocols, such as OSPF, ISIS, BGP, IPv4, IPv6, STP, MPLS and L2VPN.
- Familiarity with transport technologies such as DWDM and optical transceivers is a plus.
- ITIL Foundations certification
- Valid G drivers’ licence
- Post-secondary degree, preferably in a STEM field; or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 3-5 years hands-on work experience in IT or network administration
Please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org with he subject line: NOC Technician
* Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.