March 5, 2015
On March 5th, ORION will host a workshop on research computing in the cloud. With the support of Compute Ontario, this event will give research technology leaders key updates on the latest trends and developments in the advanced computing sector in Ontario.
This workshop will focus on the accelerated uptake of cloud computing to support research in Ontario:
- Current experiences and early adopters in Ontario
- The technical and organizational barriers to cloud computing
- Cloud options and providers in Ontario
Keynote: Ian Foster
Director, Computation Institute at the University of Chicago/ANL
Lead, Globus cloud project
Speakers and Panelists:
Interim CEO and the Board Chair, Compute Ontario
National Administration Committee, Compute Canada, Member
Associate Vice President Research, Western University
Senior Vice President, RackForce
Chair, Information Technology Association of Canada – ITAC BC Chapter
Founding Board Member, BC Technology Industries Association (BC TIA)
Management Team Member, Greenstar Network project (CANARIE)
Development Manager, Cybera
Developer, Cloud systems projects, OpenStack
Ron Van Holst
Director, Research Development, High Performance Computing at Ontario Centres of Excellence
Bring Your Questions
At the Interactive Session, this is the opportunity to discuss your computing queries with other colleagues and experts. Topics will include:
- Easing into the Cloud: What barriers are researchers facing in cloud computing?
- Buy or Build: Which route to opt for, and why?
- Governance and Funding: How should cloud computing be regulated and funded?
- What’s on your mind? Send in your questions for the Interactive Session by emailing email@example.com
Workshop includes a hot breakfast, sandwich lunch and fresh refreshments.
This event is by invitation only. If you are interested in attending, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.