ORION is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to empowering Ontario researchers, educators and innovators. We foster a community of 1.7 million users at more than a hundred universities, colleges, hospitals and research institutions, school boards and regional innovation centres across the province. We enable ground-breaking discoveries and cutting-edge education by connecting institutions and regions through our network, facilitating collaboration and providing our community with the digital tools and expert support they need to make the world a better place.
As pioneers of cybersecurity thought leadership in Canada’s research and education sector, ORION is committed to keeping our digital community safe by helping improve their cybersecurity posture.
As a workplace, ORION has a culture of inclusion, mutual respect and teamwork. Equity and diversity are an integral part of our commitment to innovation, connectivity and community. We encourage applicants from women, persons with disabilities*, Indigenous peoples, racialized people and others who may contribute to the further evolution of our network.
- This position reports directly to the Director, Products and Programs
Salary and Benefits
- Flexible work-from-home policy
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Career-training and development
- Generous holidays/vacation
- Many other perks
What we need
As a Product Manager, with a focus on cybersecurity, you have excellent communication skills, creative thinking skills, ability to think outside the box to interpret the needs of the community and identify and implement solutions into products and services that make sense for them and ORION. You are interested in using your skills and experience to support the research and education community. This role encompasses product strategy, opportunity analysis, product and service development, maintenance, and growth. ORION relies on innovative approaches to bringing vendor solutions and services to meet the needs of our community.
Key Activities (including but not limited to):
- Serving as a product manager for cross-functional project teams throughout the implementation of security solutions and services; define and oversee the documentation of detailed standards(e.g. guidelines, processes, procedures, service descriptions, pricing, business cases)
- Understanding community needs and challenges related to cybersecurity support and cloud, primarily through engagement with the community in appropriate forums including working committees and advisory groups.
- Translating community needs into well-defined, prioritized requirements.
- Building a strong relationship with the network operations team to evaluate the existing and future planned network capabilities and seek and assess innovative opportunities to align and implement products and services with ORION’s high bandwidth network.
- Managing and influencing the current product roadmap and product enhancements (including but not limited to Shared SIEM, DDoS, ON-CHEC)
- Communicate the value proposition of the products and services to the sales and product marketing team to aid in the development of the sales tools that support the marketing of the products and services to the community.
- Bringing new products and services through an established Gating/NPI process, starting with a business case and approval through to execution (ex. Shared SIEM as a service
- Working closely with internal and external stakeholders for input on our product and service growth strategy
- College or university degree
- Cybersecurity certification (CISSP, CSSLP, CCSP or similar) an asset
- Microsoft Office Suite (Work, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint)
- 3+ years of product management experience in a technology focused vertical
- Experience working with Higher education institutions and telecom an asset
Knowledge and Skills
- Solid understanding of cloud, cybersecurity services and network infrastructure (ex. SIEM,cloud security, managed security services, etc)
- Ability to apply technical understanding and an innovative approach to business problems.
- Technical aptitude coupled with an enthusiasm for technology and cybersecurity
- Be a great communicator who can break down technical concepts into plain terms (written and verbal) that are well understood by all audiences
- Passion for analyzing security products and developing recommendations and business cases.
- Have a solid Product Management toolkit with experience bringing products to market
- Strong writing and communication skills with the proven ability to comfortably and professionally engage with and collaborate with staff, colleagues, cross-functional teams, and third party vendors
- Excellent presentation skills
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Ability to work remotely, and independently.
Please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: ORION – Product Manager
* Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.