Since launching the Ontario Cybersecurity Higher Education Consortium (ON-CHEC) in May 2019, the ON-CHEC community has continued to expand both in size and impact. ON-CHEC is a consortium of Ontario colleges and Universities who come together to strengthen cybersecurity for higher-education in Ontario and Nova Scotia. On November 12, 2021 ORION hosted the second annual ON-CHEC Day, with a morning of collaboration, discussion and learning, led by members of the ON-CHEC community.
The day began bright and early, with members from across Ontario and Nova Scotia gathering virtually to explore questions and conversations around how we can move forward into the new ‘normal’ as a community and in turn, emerge from the pandemic.
Presentations and panels included:
- The impact of the transition to cloud service on security together with recommendations from institutions who are working through their own cloud transformations.
- Opportunities for increasing diversity in cybersecurity through mentorship, adapting recruitment and building inclusive cultures.
- An update on the CUCCIO Benchmarking Project, providing valuable insight into the effects of the pandemic on cybersecurity.
- The story of collaboration between Humber College and Seneca College collaborated to create an online Cybersecurity Awareness game for staff and faculty during Cyber Security Awareness Month.
- Lastly, a discussion on the range of cybersecurity tools available and in use for higher education.
What participants said about ON-CHEC Day:
I found ON-CHEC Day to be a valuable component of the ON-CHEC program.
After ON-CHEC Day, I have a greater understanding of other consortium members’ cybersecurity challenges and expertise.”