ORION is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to empowering Ontario researchers, educators and innovators. We foster a community of 1.7 million users at more than a hundred universities, colleges, hospitals and research institutions, school boards and regional innovation centres across the province. We enable ground-breaking discoveries and cutting-edge education by connecting institutions and regions through our network, facilitating collaboration and providing our community with the digital tools and expert support they need to make the world a better place.
As pioneers of cybersecurity thought leadership in Canada’s research and education sector, ORION is committed to keeping our digital community safe by helping improve their cybersecurity posture.
As a workplace, ORION has a culture of inclusion, mutual respect and teamwork. Equity and diversity are an integral part of our commitment to innovation, connectivity and community. We encourage applicants from women, persons with disabilities*, Indigenous peoples, racialized people and others who may contribute to the further evolution of our network.
- This position reports directly to the Senior Security Systems Engineer
Salary and Benefits
- $25/hr, 37.5hrs per week for 7 weeks
- Flexible work-from-home policy
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Career-training and development
- Generous holidays/vacation
- Many other perks
- Assist in DDoS and SIEM-related operations
- Real-time monitoring and reporting of DDoS events
- Maintain and upgrade tools used in extraction, automation and visualization/analysis of Threat data
- Assess other options in DDoS Threat Hunting using existing tools
- Assist in Enhanced DDoS Protection Onboarding operations – Data extraction from DDoS tool, scheduling reports, etc.
- Carry out traffic trends, baselining and DDoS defence rule-set testing periodically for different network profiles
- Analyze data and assist in enhancement of monthly DDoS reporting
- Explore new features that can be added to ORION’s existing DDoS protection operations
- Support SIEM analyst in operations – ticketing, reporting and fine-tuning
Key Performance Metrics
- Support ORION in building cybersecurity services and defence mechanisms and serve it’s community
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree (complete or ongoing) in Communications/Networking/Cybersecurity/Data Science
Knowledge and Skills
- Scripting in Python/Shell, etc.
- Used Data Science/Data Visualization tools/libraries in Python
- Familiar with REST APIs – request forms, response codes, AAA methods, output formats, etc.
- Basic networking concepts – OSI Layer 2,3 and 4
- Understanding of network security operations, standards and threats
- Strong in data representation and analytics
Please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: ORION CSJ – Network (Security) Operator
* Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.