ORION is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to empowering Ontario researchers, educators and innovators. We foster a community of 1.7 million users at more than a hundred universities, colleges, hospitals and research institutions, school boards and regional innovation centres across the province. We enable ground-breaking discoveries and cutting-edge education by connecting institutions and regions through our network, facilitating collaboration and providing our community with the digital tools and expert support they need to make the world a better place.
As pioneers of cybersecurity thought leadership in Canada’s research and education sector, ORION is committed to keeping our digital community safe by helping improve their cybersecurity posture.
As a workplace, ORION has a culture of inclusion, mutual respect and teamwork. Equity and diversity are an integral part of our commitment to innovation, connectivity and community. We encourage applicants from women, persons with disabilities*, Indigenous peoples, racialized people and others who may contribute to the further evolution of our network.
- This position reports directly to the Director, Products and Programs
Perks and Benefits
- Flexible work-from-home policy
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Career-training and development
- Generous holidays/vacation
- Many other perks
What we need
As a Product Manager at ORION, you are a logical yet ‘outside the box’ thinker with excellent organization, planning, and communication skills; the ability to guide cross-functional teams through managing specialized products and services that fulfill diverse cyber needs in Ontario’s research and education sector. You are interested in sharing your knowledge and using your skills to support the activities of researchers, educators, and innovators with quality, consistent, and applicable products and services. You have a simple, clear, and consistent approach to product management, informed by analysis, research, and your wisdom. You enjoy developing and managing product lifecycles including identifying strategy, performance metrics and multi-year feature and function roadmaps.
Key Activities (including but not limited to):
- Serving as a product manager for cross-functional project teams throughout the implementation of products and services; define and oversee the documentation of detailed standards (e.g. guidelines, processes, procedures, service descriptions, pricing, business cases).
- Lead the life cycle management for products and services; identify and recommend improvements to fit community needs on a consistent basis.
- Understanding community IT needs and challenges primarily through engagement with the community in working committees and advisory groups.
- Translating community needs into well-defined, prioritized product requirements.
- Building trusted relationships with internal teams to evaluate the existing and future planned capabilities and seek and assess innovative opportunities to align and implement products and services with ORION’s optical network.
- Managing and influencing current product roadmaps and enhancements
- Communicate the value proposition of the products and services to sales, communication, marketing, technical, and senior management teams.
- Bringing new and enhanced products and services through defined procedures for business cases through to market launch and monitoring.
- Working closely with internal and external members for insight and feedback on our product and service growth strategy.
- College or university degree or combination of education and experience
- Business Process certification (e.g. COBIT) an asset
- Project Management software, SharePoint, and Visio an asset
- Product or program management experience; experience in IT products an asset
- Experience working with research or educational institutions an asset
Knowledge and Skills
- Have a solid Product Management toolkit with experience bringing products or services to market
- Understanding best practices for stages and processes for product management.
- Understanding on how to conduct analysis including problem/needs, cost/value, and environmental scans, assessments of different product delivery strategies (e.g. managed service or on-site service).
- Ability to apply an innovative approach to business problems.
- Desire to learn more about cyber and technology.
- Strong business aptitude and analytical skills. Able to understand how technology, people, and process apply to Product management principles.
- A great communicator who can break down concepts into plain terms (written and verbal) that are well understood by all audiences
- Passion for analyzing the market, problems and gaps for opportunities, transformation, and growth.
- Strong reading, writing, and oral communication skills with the proven ability to comfortably and professionally engage with and collaborate with staff, colleagues, cross-functional teams, and third-party vendors.
- Excellent presentation skills; comfortable presenting to senior management.
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently, be a self-starter.
Must be eligible to work in Canada.
Please apply to email@example.com with subject line: ORION – Product Manager
* Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.