ORION is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to empowering Ontario researchers, educators and innovators. We foster a community of more than two million users at more than a hundred universities, colleges, hospitals and research institutions, as well as the majority of Ontario’s school boards. We enable ground-breaking discoveries and cutting-edge education by connecting institutions and regions through our network, facilitating collaboration, and providing our community with the digital tools and expert support they need to make the world a better place.
As pioneers of cybersecurity thought leadership in Canada’s research and education sector, ORION is committed to keeping our digital community safe by helping improve their cybersecurity posture.
In 2019, ORION helped establish the Ontario Cybersecurity Higher Education Consortium (ON-CHEC). This consortium now includes 35 member institutions (Colleges and Universities) from both Ontario and Nova Scotia. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work collaboratively with IT and cybersecurity professionals across Ontario, Canada, and around the world.
As a workplace, ORION has a culture of inclusion, mutual respect, and teamwork. Equity and Diversity are an integral part of our commitment to innovation, connectivity and community. We encourage applicants from women, persons with disabilities*, Indigenous peoples, racialized people, and others who may contribute to the further evolution of our network.
- This position reports directly to the Director, Network Infrastructure and Operations
Salary and Benefits
- Flexible work-from-home policy
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Career-training and Development
- Generous holidays/vacation
- Many other awesome perks….
- Provide functional design, implementation, and oversight of the security operations capability in support ORION’s policies and practices
- Provide oversight on the delivery of all enterprise operational security services, including the collection of cyber-threat intelligence, security vulnerability management, perpetual scanning (VA), logging and monitoring, SIEM, event correlation, DDoS detection and mitigation, operational metrics and reporting, as well as specialized security needs and services pertaining to the ORION network
- Spearhead the cybersecurity operations capabilities and activities which will include security architecture, design and requirements, operationalization, maintenance, governance, and risk management
- Develop and track management- and board-level security metrics for cybersecurity operations under the direction of the CISO and Chief Technology Officer, with the aim of strengthening the security posture of ORION
- Develop and deploy security monitoring use cases
- Interact effectively and persuasively with key stakeholders, both internally and externally
- Analyze cybersecurity events and incidents to determine the root cause and apply the appropriate mitigation measures as outlined by the organization’s incident response plan
- Triage and analyze security events in order to prioritize and escalate alerts that exceed the SIEM threshold
- Bachelor’s degree or diploma in computer science or related fields
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH)
- Other relevant certifications include: CISA, CISM, SABSA or similar certification is an asset
- Three to five years of relevant experience in an operational IT security environment
Knowledge and Skills
- Good communication and organization skills
- Well versed with SIEM technology
- Windows, Unix and Linux Operation Systems
- TCP/IP, computer networking, routing and switching, firewalls, VPN
- Good knowledge of IT security frameworks (NIST, CSF, ISO 27001, etc.)
- Forensics investigation and analysis of security incidents (how and why a security breach or a compromised system occurred)
- Experience with configuration, integration and systems administration of SIEM (any platform, Fortinet preferred)
- Working knowledge of:
- Enterprise platforms:
- Server platforms (Unix/Linux, Windows etc.)
- Virtualized infrastructure (VMWare)
- Performance monitoring
- Networking and security (TCP, SSL, authentication, Linux PAM, OpenSSL, Apache, RPM)
- Direct prior experience with enterprise security technologies
- Prior experience within a security team (e.g. as a SOC Engineer or Analyst or Systems Administrator, etc.)
- Knowledge of ITIL, NIST, and ISO best practices and process improvement
- A combination of studies, certifications, and relevant experience would be also considered
- Good understanding of cybersecurity monitoring
- In-depth knowledge of security event management, network monitoring, log collection and correlation
Please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: ORION – Senior Security Specialist
* Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.