TORONTO, June 24, 2019 – ORION, Ontario’s only provincial research and education network, is now providing dedicated point-to-point connections between ORION’s Points of Presence (PoPs) and end users’ sites.
The last mile is the final stretch of fibre connecting a constituent’s campuses to an ORION regional PoP, to extend the reach of ORION’s R&E network. ORION’s last-mile service will provide ORION research and education network, Internet and WAN services from PoP into a constituent’s location.
At the request of our constituents, ORION is offering a fully managed end-to-end solution through last mile. We are leveraging the network footprint of our supplier partners, complementing and enhancing access to ORION’s network of 30 PoPs.
Features and Benefits:
- One-stop shop for our community of constituents – network services, including the last mile, are provided by ORION
- Saves time and technical complexities for our constituents
- Provides shorter lead times and cost-effective solutions
- Enables a single point of contact of support of last mile and all the network services provided by ORION
“ORION is committed to finding solutions that work for our constituents. Last-mile service is a cost-effective solution that enables our constituents to take advantage of our organization of services. They are able to do more for less while accessing the vital digital tools they need to educate, research, and enable progress in the 21st century.”
Alfonso Licata, President and CEO of ORION
Read more about our last mile service.
- The last mile is a phrase widely used in the telecommunications, cable television, and Internet industries to refer to the final leg of the telecommunications networks that deliver telecommunication services to end users. More specifically, the last mile refers to the portion of the telecommunications network that physically connects the end user’s premise to service providers local network point of presence.
- Covering 6,000 kilometres, ORION’s private network connects regions and over a hundred institutions all over the province, including universities, colleges, hospitals and research institutions, as well as many of Ontario’s school boards.
- More than two million people in the research and education industry rely on ORION to share and communicate with each other and to connect to a global grid of similar networks across Canada and around the world.
ORION is a not-for-profit organization supporting Ontario’s progress with essential digital infrastructure. Since 2001, we’ve facilitated new discoveries by connecting research and education institutions, regions, and people across the province, enabling collaboration, learning, forging partnerships, and providing our community with the digital tools and expertise they need to make the world a better place.
For inquiries about last mile services, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org