ORION continues to proudly support our users in their collaborative endeavours with advanced digital infrastructure and technology leadership, enabling transformation and discovery. In addition to our research and education community network, we also provide cost-effective internet service.
More than two million people in research and education rely on ORION to share and communicate with each other and to connect to a global grid of similar networks across Canada and around the world. Here’s what we have achieved on behalf of our community over the past 12 months:
- To enhance our high-speed connectivity, we are upgrading approximately 70% of our fibre optic network to multi-terabit capability, and in some segments, we are now carrying one terabit per second.
- 100 Gbps upgrades were implemented for advanced research computing facilities such as SciNet, SHARCNET, HPC4Health at the University Health Network (UHN) and SickKids, and the Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences (ICES) at Sunnybrook.
- We evolved our shared chief information security officer (CISO) initiative and are scaling the program for greater impact.
- We began offering last-mile services, bringing trusted end-to-end solutions to our users.
- We piloted cybersecurity services to further protect our digital community.
- We partnered with IBM to be the sole provider of SPSS Campus Value licences to academic institutions in Ontario.
- We led cybersecurity training and continue to offer such education, including at our upcoming conference.
- We continued to build productive partnerships, working with federal and provincial governments, relied on the guidance of our advisory groups, and engaged Ontario’s community of innovators through our 2018 conference, THINK: Innovation Ecosystem.
We will continue to invest in our network, products and service offerings, giving researchers, educators and innovators the digital tools they need to make Ontario a global leader in innovation.