Last mile provides dedicated point-to-point connections between ORION’s Points of Presence (PoPs) and end users’ sites. It is the final stretch of fibre connecting campuses of an institution to an ORION regional PoP, which extends the reach of ORION’s R&E network. At the request of our constituents, ORION is offering a fully managed end-to-end solution through last mile. We are leveraging the network footprint of our supplier partners, complementing and enhancing access to ORION’s network of 30 PoPs.
Features and Benefits:
- One-stop shop for our community of constituents – network services, including the last mile, are provided by ORION
- Saves time and technical complexities for our constituents
- Provides shorter lead times and cost-effective solutions
- Enables a single point of contact of support of last mile and all the network services provided by ORION
- The last mile is a phrase widely used in the telecommunications, cable television, and Internet industries to refer to the final leg of the telecommunications networks that deliver telecommunication services to end users. More specifically, the last mile refers to the portion of the telecommunications network that physically connects the end user’s premise to service providers local network point of presence.
- Covering 6,000 kilometres, ORION’s private network connects regions and over a hundred institutions all over the province, including universities, colleges, hospitals and research institutions, as well as many of Ontario’s school boards.
- 1.7 million people in the research and education industry rely on ORION to share and communicate with each other and to connect to a global grid of similar networks across Canada and around the world.